You may be wondering why and how to download Youtube videos! If it’s the case, you are in the right place. This is a complete guide covering all the info you need to know about this topic.
Like everyone else, when you think about watching a video, the first site you think of is Youtube. Since its launch in 2005, Youtube has become the most popular platform for broadcasting video content.
We often wonder if there is a Youtube downloader that allows us to recover Youtube videos and save them on our computers or cell phones.
As you will find out in this article, there is a wide range of Youtube downloaders that retrieve Youtube content in different formats.
For most of these tools, a few seconds to a few minutes are enough to download youtube videos, convert videos to mp3, or youtube videos to mp4, and store them on your devices.
However, even if these tools are easily found on the net, they are not necessarily similar in terms of features. This article will guide you in choosing the best Youtube downloaders.
At the time of writing this article, the list is up to date. If you ever find that a tool doesn’t work anymore, move on to the next one. I will do my best to keep this list up to date. If you want to save videos for later viewing, you need to learn how to upload videos from YouTube efficiently. You can download them in formats such as MP4, AVI, MPEG, and more. Or, if you want sound, you can convert YouTube videos to MP3 files.
Why Would You Download Youtube Videos?
There are severar reasons to use a Youtube downloader:
- Allows you to watch videos when you don’t have an internet connection
- Very useful if you have a package with limited internet data
- Imagine a long trip by plane or train (alone or with children)!
What if you don’t have the possibility of having fun with videos or movies. I would say that it would be boring, hence the interest in downloading youtube videos. This also applies when traveling to places without reliable mobile internet access.
- Most important, it’s free!
As you will see below, even Youtube offers tools to do this (paid method); but there are many third-party free youtube Downloader that you can use.
- You can download the videos to your devices using your home Wi-Fi and watch them on the move without exceeding your data allocation.
- More interestingly, if you only want to save music from a video, you can use the Youtube to MP3 converters (listed below).
Is Downloading Youtube Videos Legal?
Using third-party apps to upload YouTube videos is an infringement of Youtube’s Terms of Service, which specify that you can only stream videos from Youtube’s servers. Uploading YouTube videos also puts you at risk of potential copyright violation unless you have permission from the copyright holder, the video is in the public domain, or you own the video yourself.
It is complicated to coerce or ban users who use them. You could still watch YouTube videos without being logged in.
In the end, it’s up to you to judge whether uploading videos to YouTube for personal use is something you’re going to do.
That said, YouTube offers some ways to upload videos via its web service and its applications.
Below, you will discover how to do this and the different possibilities available for Android, iPhone, PC, and Mac.
What Formats Can I Save Youtube Videos In?
Video file upload tools usually allow you to choose between several file formats. The most common are MP4, 3GP, AVI, and MOV; selecting the format and quality settings will affect the video’s quality and how you can watch it.
If a medium quality video would not bother you while viewing, I would recommend choosing the 3GP format. This format does not require a lot of storage capacity and fits very well with old small screen phones. However, this format is not recommended for large screens.
For other devices:
– MOV is Apple’s video format that works on all Macs.
– AVI is developed by Microsoft and works great on PCs
– MP4 is the video format equivalent to MP3 and works on just about anything. For maximum compatibility, we suggest keeping the MP4 format.
Which Video Quality to Choose for downloading youtube videos?
YouTube broadcasts videos in different qualities ranging from 3GP for older mobiles to 1080p, 4K, and 8K high-definition for the market’s latest screens.
3GP aside, you have four alternatives here for your PC, cell phone or tablet: 360p, 480p, 720p and 1080p. The higher is the quality; the bigger is the file, so try to adjust quality and size. Except if you’re viewing on a huge screen, you can presumably oversee without 1080p quality except if you have tons of extra stockpiling (albeit 360p video won’t look great on an HD show).
Suppose what you’re interested in with video is just the audio file (music or sound). In that case, it will do the trick whatever quality you choose. The audio file and the video file are two separate things, even if they both make up the youtube video.
How To Download Youtube Videos Online Using Free Tools?
Online Youtube Downloader vs. Desktop Software
The process of uploading a YouTube video with one of the tools usually involves three simple steps:
- First, on the youtube.com site, search for your video of interest, select it, and copy the URL to the clipboard. On a cell phone, simply click share to view and copy the URL.
- Then paste the URL into the search box of your YouTube video upload tool and press enter to start the scanning and upload process.
- Finally, after downloading the content, you can choose the format and quality you prefer. Just note that often the quality is related to the quality of the original video upload.
How To Save Youtube Videos Without Any Software
In this section, I will tell you about three methods in which you won’t need a youtube download tool:
1. Youtube Premium Download Videos
With a Youtube Premium subscription, you don’t need any other extensions or applications to install. In addition to viewing ad-free content, when you like a video you’re watching, just press the download button and choose the quality of the video you want to download. Of course, the size of the file increases with its quality.
2. Save Youtube Videos Using a Virtual Desktop
This is one of the easiest ways to download youtube videos. Indeed, even if this method is very little known, this method is free and very simple. All you have to do is :
1) write the title of the video you want to download on the youtube search tab and press enter.
2) Then just add “vd” to the URL. as in the image below.
3) After this modification, press enter. You will be redirected to the Django site for the video you want to download.
4) Choose the format and quality of the video.
5) Finally, download the video.
3. Download Youtube Videos Using Browser Add-Ons
Another little known method is the use of add-ons on your browser.
Some of them are better suited for Firefox, Opera, or Chrome, while others are standalone tools.
Here is an example of a similar add-on called “Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express” for Mozilla.
Most add-ons give you a variety of options for saving the video.
Once the add-on is installed, just go to youtube.com, and you’ll notice an icon in the top right corner of your screen. Click on it, and you will be able to choose the format and quality of your video to download.
How To Choose A Youtube Downloader And Converter
Youtube to MP3 Converter
With free YouTube Downloaders and Converters, it’s effortless to save videos from YouTube in your preferred formats, including MP4 and MP3. Indeed, they’re easy to use applications that support low- and high-quality resolutions that meet your demands. Read on to learn more about these helpful apps.
The Features To Look For In A Youtube Downloader
Quality of the Video
For excellent viewing, the converted file needs to have a standard video quality. Preferably, you need to have the ability to change the video’s quality. It will be even much better if you can select specific video resolution like 4K, 2K, 1080p, 720p, 360p, etc.
The app should have the ability to download and convert the videos quickly. Also, instabilities in Wi-Fi and internet connectivity shouldn’t have a significant impact on the download times.
Built-In Video Editor
Perhaps, you either want to view a specific track in the middle of a video or need to edit out a particular section. With this in mind, a YouTube Video Downloader app needs to have an inbuilt video editor since video editing demands can arise at any moment.
Compatibility With Different File Formats
You may need to save your videos in several formats within your device. So, you’ll have more flexibility if the video downloader lets you choose from various file formats, such as MP3, MP4, MOV, WMV, FLV, AVI, MKV, and WebM.
You can save videos individually or in a batch, depending on playlists from the YouTube channels. Thus, if you love a specific music group, you may need to save their entire music collection. Again, if you like a particular channel, you may need to save its full videos.
We all love videos from different languages. Here, since you may not be multilingual, you will be wise to have an app that can download videos with subtitles.
Easy to Use
Nobody loves spending all the time trying to understand the whole interface of a YouTube Video Downloader. We all love to have an app that’s easy to use.
The Best Free YouTube Downloaders and Converters
Youtube Downloader : Download and Save Youtube Videos
4K Video Downloader
The tool lets you save videos, channels, playlists, and subtitles from YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, TikTok, and other video websites. 4K Video downloader saves videos in high-quality resolutions, like 8K, 4K, 1080p, and 720p.
Besides, it’s easy to use as you only need to copy the video’s URL and paste it on the app.
- It supports multiple video and audio formats.
- It lets you save subtitles and annotations with YouTube files. Ideally, it supports 50 languages.
- It allows you to save a YouTube mix, liked videos, watch later, and private YouTube playlist.
- It automatically downloads videos from your favorite YouTube channels.
- It’s not available on iOS and Android platforms.
- The free version comes with a lot of Ads.
- Some users allege there’re limitations on the channels and playlist you can download with the free version.
Yes, this is one of the best tools to download YouTube videos for macOS and Windows platforms. It lets you easily save videos at the best quality. In addition to supporting more than 900 websites, the app lets you save videos at high speed.
With the application, you can save videos in multiple formats, like 8K, 4K, 1080p, 720p and other resolutions. Furthermore, you can easily convert the videos to other formats like MP4 or MP3. One of the best things about the tool is that it’s not sophisticated besides being easy to use.
- It supports both macOS and Windows platforms
- It saves videos and audios from more than 900 sites, like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter
- It saves videos in multiple formats
- Up to 8K resolution supported
- It guarantees fast download speeds
- It downloads YouTube playlists, 3D, channels and VR videos
- You can configure a proxy on the tool and download videos or sites blocked in your locality
- You can simultaneously save videos from multiple websites
- It lets you convert videos to MP3 or MP4 with ease
- It has a friendly and easy to use user interface
- It doesn’t work on mobile platforms
Well, YT Cutter is a simple application that comes with an interesting feature that sets it apart from its competitors – it lets you trim your videos. While the best video downloaders embrace this special feature, only a handful of them allows you trim videos for free and without the annoying watermarks.
The tool also lets you save your videos in GIF format. With this, you can use the application as a GIF Creator. An easy to use interface is also a big plus. Thus, even amateurs can effortlessly understand how the application works.
- It lets you trim videos
- You can save a video in multiple formats, like MP3, MP4 and GIF
- Users say the website crashes easily
Compared to its predecessors, Tube Mate is a basic YouTube downloader app that has outlived its expectations. The tool lets you convert videos to various formats, like MP4, MP3, 4GP and WAV. You’ll also get a dedicated video player, which you can use for your newly saved videos.
Another incredible feature about Tube Mate is that it comes with an inbuilt search engine that lets you search videos straight from the application instead of navigating to YouTube first.
- Easy to use
- Freely available
- You can download your videos in multiple formats
- Quite slow
- Copyright infringement
- Limited features
Airy is a downloader that, besides letting you download youtube videos in multiple formats, it also allows you to convert the videos into your desired formats. The application’s interface is easy to use and straightforward. It lets you select your input and output before hitting the download.
Additionally, Airy comes with the ability to integrate with the popular web browsers, like Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, to give you an exceptional experience. It can save videos in 4K resolution.
- You can download videos on 8K, 4K and HD quality
- You can easily integrate it with the leading browsers
- It facilitates bulk downloading for multiple videos and playlists
- The free version only lets you save 2 videos at once
If you’re searching for a user-friendly video downloader app, you may need to consider SnapTube. The tool lets you save your videos in multiple resolutions and formats. So, whether you need to keep a video in MP3, MP4, or any other form, SnapTube will undoubtedly solve your issues.
While you can download and install a dedicated SnapTube app to your Android device, it’s important to note that you’ll not find it in Google Play Store. Instead, you’ll have to look for it on other platforms. With this downloader app, you can save your videos from over 50 different sites, like TikTok, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
- It comes with a direct MP3 download feature
- It lets you choose your desired download resolution
- You can directly search for the videos you need to download
- It lets you recognize what’s trending
- You can search and download a video in many languages
- It consumes a lot of space
- Only available in Android platform
- Most videos have restrictions for download
While it has a bizarre name, it’s a downloader that’s easy to use. Currently, it’s available for use in both Windows and Android operating systems. As you use this application, you’ll get all the required support to save 4K videos from YouTube.
Luckily, there are no limitations for downloads on YouTube – you can save videos from over 1,000 sites. However, the Android version only lets you save videos from a mere 50 sites. Thus, if you’re looking forward to downloading videos from multiple websites, you may have to opt for the desktop version.
- You can create a customized collection of videos
- It’s a versatile video downloader and converter
- Easy to use
- It lets you convert your downloads into preferred formats
- It has multiple downloading features
- It enables you to download videos in various resolutions
- It has lots of Ads
- The search engine doesn’t integrate all streaming websites
The application comes with an easy to use and simple user interface for downloading videos from the internet. It gives you the ability to search for videos either through their names or URLs. With this tool, you can download your videos and audios from various platforms, like Facebook, YouTube, Youku, Dailymotion, Instagram, etc.
- It lets you save unlimited HD and SD videos
- It supports MP4, MP3, 3GP, AAC, WMV, MOV and other formats
- It’s compatible with popular browsers
- It lets you upload your files to DropBox or Drive
- It doesn’t support bulk downloads
KeepVid is a fantastic video downloader tool. It appears to be naturally standard, so users who need to use it do not face hurdles to get their tasks done. You only need to visit KeepVid’s official website and save your videos by pasting their URLs. Currently, you can only download videos in MP4 formats.
The best thing about the tool is that you can simultaneously download videos. You can save an entire playlist by just pasting its URL on this tool. In addition to this, the tool gives the much-needed support to save videos uploaded on other platforms, like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- It supports bulk download
- It has an inbuilt browser
- It’s easy to use
- You can easily choose between audio and video formats
- It lets you record videos
- The free version has limited features
- You cannot search for YouTube videos on the section of the online video
ClipGrab is easy to use and friendly video downloader that perfectly works on popular websites, like Vimeo, YouTube, Dailymotion and Facebook. The tool runs on Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems. Moreover, you can convert your saved videos into MP3, MPEG4 or any other desired format. ClipGrab is an app you have to install to your PC because YouTube often blocks IP addresses.
- Easy to use interface
- It lets you download videos in multiple formats
- It has an inbuilt search-bar for videos
- It has annoying Ads
- You can only search for your videos from restricted sites
iTubeGo Youtube Downloader
You can use this downloader to download youtube videos (or other videos) from virtually all video streaming websites you can think of. The tool supports saving videos from YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, Dailymotion, Instagram, BBC, Vimeo and other platforms.
- You can save videos from over 1,000 sites
- It supports bulk downloads
- You can download an entire YouTube playlist
- It supports the saving of videos in MP4, MP3, M4A and other formats
- The free version does not let you save videos in HD formats
- The premium version is quite costly
Gihosoft is a popular provider of both free and paid file encryption tools, data recovery tools, downloading and video converting tools. One of the best products from Gihosoft is the Gihosoft TubeGet, which is a basic, easy to use and user-friendly YouTube downloader.
Besides using the Mac and Windows platforms tool, you can use it to save videos in various formats, such as MP4, AVI, MKV and MOV.
- You can add subtitles to the downloaded videos
- You can convert the saved videos to popular formats
- You can save a YouTube playlist and channel
- Limited support
Enjoy music and YouTube videos offline! YTOFFLINE is a video downloader that lets you download YouTube audios and videos on your smartphone, PC and tablet. Additionally, it lets you save the videos in 3GP, MP4, M4A, WEBM and other formats. The tool is 100% free, fast and you don’t need to sign up.
- Easy to use
- It’s a plug-and-play app
- Top security as it uses SSL encryption
- You can use it on Windows, iOS and Android devices
- Limited features
The tool is by far the most powerful video downloader in the industry. It boasts fantastic video audio downloading, screen recording, video editing and video-audio conversion features. It also has a user-friendly user interface.
Being a professional video downloader, you can use it on both Windows and Mac platforms to download youtube videos. The tool lets you easily save music, videos, channels and playlists from multiple websites, like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Dailymotion.
- You can save videos from over 1000 websites
- It lets you save videos in bulk
- You search and save subtitles on videos
- It lets you convert downloaded videos into other formats like MP3 and MP4
- No mobile version
The application is made for Android devices to save YouTube and other videos. It comes with a search bat to let you search for any particular video. Besides, it gives you the ability to save videos in multiple qualities. With the app, you can download videos from various sites, like Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Instagram, Tumblr, Dailymotion and Soundcloud.
- Easy to use and navigate
- Ability to save videos in 4K, 2K and other qualities
- Impressive download speeds
- Unlimited videos from over 1000 sites
- It needs a stable connection to the internet
- Inadequate media format support
Softorino Youtube Converter 2
Designed for Windows and Mac, Softorino YouTube Converter 2 lets you convert and download videos into multiple formats, like MP4 and MP3. It also gives you the ability to copy the link or search for any YouTube video without the app. The application automatically recognizes the source site.
- It lets you save videos in multiple formats
- It supports video downloads from over 60 sites
- You cannot save embedded videos
It’s a powerful tool that you can use to download youtube videos and that doesn’t need any installation of third-party applications. Besides letting you download clips, it also downloads audios, converts videos and burns optical discs. To download a video, you only need to copy the video’s URL and paste it into the tool’s download window. You can convert the downloaded videos into VOB, MPG, MOV, AVI, OGG, etc.
- It has an inbuilt audio recorder
- It has an inbuilt recorder of DVD and CDs
- It comes with a turbo download
- It supports video downloads in multiple formats
- Insufficient work with the MP3 files
- It lacks advanced settings for video editing
WinX Youtube Downloader
This tool allows you to save videos from YouTube and other websites like Instagram and Facebook. The downloading process is quite simple. You only need to copy and paste the video’s URL on the download window and hit the download button. With the tool, you can save videos in multiple formats, such as FLV, AVI, MKV, etc.
- It supports over 300 video sites
- It lets you download videos in HD qualities like 8K, 4K and 2K
- It allows you to convert your videos into different formats
- You can download videos in bulk
- It cannot save 3D videos
- It lacks a multi-channel download feature
As you can see, all the YouTube downloaders and converters reviewed above come with their pros and cons. All in all, they do an amazing job when it comes to helping you save videos from various websites. Besides, it is worth noting that some of them give better value than others.
I know there’re countless reasons why you would like to use a video downloader tool. Well, perhaps you want to grow your audience, improve your content and make it ageless, or just want to store a video offline for your own use.
Whatever your reasons are, you now have a detailed list of video downloader tools that can easily get the job done. If you feel there’s a tool we’ve omitted, please let us know in the comments section and we’ll be more than happy to review it for you.